Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Design Concept/ Distance Learning Experience

What did you learn?
I learned how extensive putting together a distance learning experience can be-hands on! I knew it took a lot of hours, work as well as revisions from reading it in our text, but it was beneficial that we had to create one ourselves. It was difficult getting ideas out of my head and down on paper-to write and explain processes, keeping in mind the person reading it needs to know every step, and we can't assume they already know what we are explaining. That was probably the most difficult part of this project. I learned the importance of revision, from our project proposal, initial analysis and ending with the design concept. It was challenging to take the best points from the previous paper and keep elaborating on them. It was difficult to make sure I included everything I said in the previous paper and at the same time not repeat myself. As far as the DE class as a whole, I am glad that I have tried it, it explained a lot, and it was interesting and helpful that our content area coincided directly with the style of the class!

How was the experience of learning online?
It was exciting, different, and unlike anything else. I enjoyed our synchronous conversation the best; I was disappointed that I couldn't include that in my DC. Watching the instructor on the video was a little creepy at first, but I got used to it rather quickly! I enjoyed our asynchronous conversations as well, because the other students always pointed out ideas and arguments in the articles that I did not pick up on. I was a little anxious at times when typing during the synchronous conversation, I often felt rushed because I wanted to respond to the questions, that way the instructor didn't think I wasn't at the computer. But, I soon realized that Maria gave us ample time to respond, so there was no need to feel pressured to type as fast as possible.

How can you use this knowledge in the future?
Later on in my career, should I decide to teach an online course, I have everything I need right here from this class! I will keep the textbook, because even though it was difficult to read at times it contains a lot of useful information I would need to start my own online course. In addition to that, it also has history, technical information, basically everything about distance learning. Also, our portfolio website is such a helpful assignment that not only allowed us to create our own website, but will always have our assignments for us to refer back to. This class has definitely given me vital technological skills I will use in my future teaching career!

No comments: